Indian head massage is based on the ancient system of medicine known as Ayurveda, and has been practised in India for thousands of years. The Ayurvedic approach to health is based on balancing the Mind, Body and Spirit to promote a long life by using massage, herbs, cleansing, yoga, diet, meditation and exercise.
Indian Head Massage has been passed down through families from birth to old age with the mother of the family massaging her children on a daily basis. It is believed that the massage preserves the body's life force and energy and is a powerful and enjoyable way of relaxing and rejuvenating the body.
In the Western world the traditional massage of the head has been extended to incorporate the neck, shoulders and upper arms to combat the stress we feel in our body's and in the mind. This in no way detracts from the healing nature of preserving our life force but instead enhances the treatment to match our complicated and technologically stressed lifestyles of today.
The benefits can include:
· Increased blood flow to the head, neck & shoulders thus nourishing the skin to encourage healing.
· Increased drainage of toxins from the area.
· Relaxes the muscles and nerve fibres that can cause tension headaches and pain.
· Improves joint mobility by removal of toxins and inflammation.
· By stimulating the release of endorphins it can help to reduce Emotional Stress and elevate the mood.
· By stimulating the nervous system it can promotes rest, relaxation and improves sleep patterns.
· Improving circulation and nutrition to the skin and scalp encourages cell regeneration and hair growth, to improve quality of the skin and the hair.
· Increasing the supply of oxygen to the brain helps to relieve mental fatigue and promote concentration.
· It may relieve eye strain by relaxing the muscles around the eyes.
· Encourages the release of stagnant energy to create a feeling of balance, calm and restores the body's energy flow.
The Indian Head Massage offered at the Clinic of Inspired Therapies is available to anyone who can sit in a chair, no clothing need be removed and oils in the hair are optional. If you would like more details or have health issues you wish to discuss with me, please do not hesitate to call me for a free and informal chat.