Reflexology as we know it today is attributed to the work of Eunice Ingham, an American Therapist who mapped out reflex points on the feet and hands that correspond to all of the organs, glands and systems of the body.
These reflexes are the nerve endings within the palms of the hands or soles of the feet and obstructions due to a build up of waste products can be felt in specific places. This obstruction can slow down the message sent from the feet to the organ or system leading to a decrease in function or healing ability. I remove these blockages by applying pressure to the reflexes to stimulate the nerve endings and ultimately the organ to "wake up and work" by causing the contraction and relaxation of the tissue cells within the organ.
Due to this stimulation the benefits of a reflexology treatment have been listed as;
- Improved blood circulation that in turn increases the supply of nutrients and oxygen to an organ, promoting the body’s own healing mechanism through cell repair and growth
- Removal of waste products due to the stimulation of the lymphatic system encouraging lymph drainage
- It may increase the release of endorphins, the body’s own pain relief through the stimulation of the nerve endings in the hands and feet
- Endorphins are believed to have links to improved memory and learning, feelings of euphoria and the regulation of hormones that affect mental illness such as depression
- Increased relaxation that can help to reduce stress levels
- In turn these benefits help to boost the immune system
Reflexology is totally safe for people of all ages, from babies to the elderly and it works very well alongside conventional medicine to promote better health and well being in the same way as an exercise or diet programme.
Hand Reflexology works in exactly the same way as on the feet and is used when the feet are too painful, or they are inaccessible in the frail or elderly. For this reason I have found that it is an ideal treatment for Alzheimer’s and Dementia sufferers as it is less intrusive and builds a sense of trust, allowing them to relax and enjoy a one to one treatment. It is a slightly shorter treatment as the hands are not as large as the feet but the results are just as rewarding.
What can you expect from a treatment?
The initial consultation can take 15 – 20 minutes and the treatment itself is approximately 40 minutes depending on the health of the patient, so allow an hour in all. In normal situations I will work on the feet unless the client is experiencing pain or sensitivity in which case I will work on the hands.
The only clothing that needs to be removed is your footwear and socks and you will be able to relax on a heated couch during the treatment thus enabling you to enjoy the full benefits of the session.
Aftercare advice will be offered after each session to ensure that you make the most of the benefits that reflexology can offer.